Alves Ribeiro is a Portuguese private equity construction company engaged on both public and private contracting.
Founded on 20 de November de 1941 by Artur Fernandes Alves Ribeiro, the company grew out of a firm that had existed since 1931 in individual name of its founder.
With an initial capital of 500,000 escudos the company began building civil and public works, particularly roads and airfields, despite the economic downturn affecting Europe as a result of the Second World War.
The company’s first clients were Lisbon City Council and the Highway Department, who commissioned highways, roads and drains. Between 1931 and 1941 one of the company’s major undertakings was Av. Gago Coutinho and Av. Almirante Reis in Lisboa, involving earthwork, drains, surfacing and the construction of a viaduct over the existing railway line.
Throughout his corporate life the company has participated in a wide range of ventures, working either alone or in association with other domestic and foreign companies in public works and construction, building roads, airports, water supply, residential and office buildings.
The company has a reputation for reliability and great financial strength and maintains a solid and progressive expansion that helped overcome the downturn experienced by the construction sector in Portugal in the early eighties. The business core of the group has gradually widened, forming new companies and investing in others.
In 2006 the foundation of a construction company in Angola set the pace for internationalization.
For over 70 years in business successfully the company has one basic rule: always work in view of quality.